Oil pulling with coconut oil
Table of contens:
- Oil pulling with coconut oil as extra care of the oral cavity
- Good taste, easy procedure
- A few tips for oil pulling with coconut oil
- Why do you have to take time for oil pulling?
- When do the first changes occur?
The traditional Indian curative treatment Ayurveda recommends oil pulling – mouth care with unrefined vegetable oil - to strengthen the oral flora, improve dental health and flush out pathogenic microorganisms (such as bacteria) from the body. Oil pulling has a particularly positive effect on the oral cavity because of the valuable ingredients of coconut oil. The coconut oil should come from organic farming and should be residue-controlled and cold-pressed such as the mill-fresh native coconut oil by Ölmühle Solling.
The oil pulling is a supplement to the daily oral and dental care and should not only make the oral mucosa supple, it is also said to reduce bad breath and whiten the teeth without attacking the enamel. In addition, thanks to its natural content of lauric acid, coconut oil is said to help kill microorganisms in the mouth (see also www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21333271). However, brushing and flossing cannot replaced by oil pulling because only mechanical cleaning with a toothbrush and toothpaste safely removes plaque from the teeth.
For oil pulling you need about a teaspoonful of coconut oil. In the mouth, the oil, which is solid at room temperature, immediately becomes liquid, so that you can move it back and forth, repeatedly press through the interdental spaces and moisten all the oral mucous membranes. In the beginning, it may be strange to keep the coconut oil in the mouth for a long time, but the mild, exotic taste of the oil makes it easier for even beginners to pull the oil. The oil pulling should take a total of 10 to 20 minutes. Then, spit the oil into a paper tissue, throw it in the bin, rinse the mouth with water and brush your teeth. Detailed instructions for oil pulling are available here.
- It goes without saying that pulling oil with a denture in the mouth does not work. If you wear a prosthesis, remove it before pulling on the oil.
- Dental fillings do not impede oil pulling - they also do not break loose. However, some representatives of Ayurvedic medicine recommend that you forego the oil pulling in case of amalgam fillings. Ask your dentist for his opinion.
- Do not lean your head back while pulling oil to avoid accidentally swallowing oil. The coconut oil merges with saliva bacteria in the mouth. These should never be swallowed, but spat out with the oil.
- Children can start oil pulling with coconut oil from school age. They should be guided not to swallow the oil, but spit it out. In addition, they have to be patient enough to move the oil in the mouth for 10 to 20 minutes. Younger children should use not more than half a teaspoon of coconut oil for oil pulling.
- Oil pulling with coconut oil is also allowed during pregnancy.
Especially for children and pregnant women, it is important to use a high quality oil. The coconut oil from Ölmühle Solling is a strictly controlled oil and is regularly checked for harmful substances.
10 to 20 minutes: That's the time you should invest in oil pulling - daily, if possible, to make positive changes. For some people this is certainly a challenge. But only in the course of these 10 to 20 minutes, the coconut oil in the mouth can merge with the saliva and absorb harmful microorganisms. By the way, this is easily detected by the fact that the coconut oil that you spit out is of a completely different color and consistency than what you put in your mouth at the beginning of the oil pulling process.
The first changes in the oral cavity should begin after about one week when pulling oil. The mucous membranes and teeth usually feel smoother. There are no unwanted side effects when oil pulling, so it is completely safe to try the oil pulling just once. The salivation may eventually increase a bit.
However, it is important to spit the coconut oil into a tissue instead of into the drain. Here is why: at conventional Central European outside temperatures, the coconut oil is solid again and may clog the drain in larger quantities under certain circumstances. In addition, you should only use a high quality coconut oil such as the native virgin coconut oil by Ölmühle Solling.